Travelling or touring becomes a challenge for vegetarians as along with planning what to explore and do in the desired destination; they also have to worry about where to eat. Vegans are probably to fall in to the trap of thinking what if something that they are not supposed to eat has been added in the food? But the brighter side is this fear cannot overpower your love for travelling. But if you are travelling in India there is possibly no valid reason why you should fear because this country houses more vegetarians than anywhere else in the world. Here bringing you list of some of the best holiday destinations in India where travelling is fun as well as best for vegetarians. Check out-
- Palitana in Gujarat: a great place for non-meat eaters, Palitana is located in Bhavnagar District. The city has a huge Jain population who are strictly vegetarians. The good news is the city has been declared the pure vegetarian city in the world which is why you have a good reason to visit to explore what vegetarian delicacies are been prepared here and are popular. Sankalp is one place you must visit for toothsome veg delicacies. Among the city’s attractions are the Shatrunjaya hills, the Palitana Jain temples, Vishal Jain Temples.
- Himachal Pradesh:
fondly called the Devbhumi, Himachal Pradesh is undoubtedly a great choice for vegetarian. A mixture of people from all caste and religion still a good majority of people are purely vegetarian. While you are in Himachal, do not miss out the dham, a popular and lip smacking traditional recipe (a combination of several varieties of veg dishes), babru, madra which are some of the best vegan dishes of the state. Shimla, Kasauli, Manali, Dalhousie are some of the many worth visiting places in the state.
- Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh:
set in the banks of the holy Ganga, the holy city of Varanasi is one of the most fascinating and colorful places on earth. The next most favorable destination for our purely vegan friends, this city has a lot to offer. What you dare not miss out while in Varanasi is the very popular baati chokha on Dashaswmedh Road, sattu paranthas, litti chokha. Don’t forget to visit Brown Bread Bakery as well. Vishwanath Temple, Dashashwamedh Ghat, Benaras Hindu University, Manikarnika Ghat, Ramnagar Fort are some of the well-known places to visit in the city.
- Haridwar in Uttarakhand: one of the ancient cities and sacred religious destinations of the Indian Hindus, Haridwar is purely a haven for vegans. Majority of the city’s population is vegetarian and you’d find restaurants and local stalls serving only vegetarian dishes. What the food loving vegans should not miss here is the chole specialty of Bhagwati Chole Bhandar, sweets of Mathura Waalo ki Pracheen Dukan, Pandit Sevaram Sharma Doodh Waale’s mouthwatering sweets. While you continue your food drive in Haridwar, here are some of the places of interest if you haven’t visited already- Har Ki Pauri, Rajaji National Park, Mansa Devi Temple, Chandi Devi Temple and Vishnu Ghat.
- Mumbai in Maharashtra: yeah you read it right. Mumbai being one of the top cosmopolitan cities of India is a popular tourist attraction place where good number of tourists flock to savor the popular sea food the city specializes in. But there is an equally fair share of delicacies for hard core vegetarians in Mumbai. Apart from the mouthwatering street food from vegetarian range that you’re surely going to place your teeth on, there are some of the popular vegetarian restaurants where you should definitely grab a meal- Shree Thaker Bhojanalay, Café Madras, Relish Restaurants, Govinda’s Restaurant, Shivala Veg Restaurant. You can never have enough of Mumbai still listing a few of the many places of interest in Mumbai include the Gateway of India, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminal, Red Carpet Wax Museum.
- Rishikesh in Uttarakhand: a forever place of interest for spiritual seekers of the country Rishikesh is yet another must visit place for pure vegans. This abode of spirituality and yoga brings you a lot of mouthwatering vegetarian specialties and this is where you should try them in-Ananda, Devraj Coffee Corner and German Bakery, Ramana’s Garden, Café Nirvana. Here are some of the places of interest- Parmath Niketan Temple, Ram Jhula, Lakshman Jhula and a must witness sight is the Ganga Aarti.
- Chennai in Tamil Nadu: vegetarian food in Chennai comes easy, like real easy. The city has a good huge collection of restaurants specializing in vegetarian food. Apart from tasting the popular South Indian recipes like dosa, idli sambhar and vada which are purely vegetarian, you might also like to taste some of the traditional vegetarian dishes in these restaurants- Ashvita Nirvana, Dario’s and Murugan, Annalakshmi, Kakada Ramprasad. Among places of interest are Marian Beach, Kapaleeshwarar Temple, and Government Museum.
Vegetarian food has its own taste and benefits to cherish. Now which do you think is your must visit from the list?